Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Notes from Vivace...

Last Week in Review
April 4, 2007
Kiss or Kill at Safari Sam’s

The Randies



The Randies are back in town before returning to their “world domination tour.” I circled this date on my calendar awhile back, because I was missing Sienna’s green bass strap. (I can’t be the only one who notices it.) They played a couple new songs. I believe one new song was called, Waiting. Laurita took over the lead vocal duties. Very cool. I could be wrong, but no guitar strings were broken during their set. A bit of a disappointment, because both Laurita and Laura had extra guitars on hand for just such a situation. On a previous Kiss or Kill night (unfortunately, months ago, because we so seldom see them around now a days), Jon from Underwater City People was there to help Laurita with repairs. I didn’t see him around so I suspect that Laurita and Laura were taking it a bit easy on the strings. Their drum set was beaten and battered. Is that how New Yorkers treat Kiss or Kill’s hottest women of rock, smashing up The Randies drum set? It must be an East Coast
thing.

Jon from UCP photo by Flaco


Automatic Music Explosion

I read JoeDana’s blog on Automatic Music Explosion. After reading this, I’d suggest heading over to his blog if you haven’t already read it (or even consider going to his blog right now and returning back to this report afterwards.) JoeDana’s been hyping this band, writing up a blog and then sending out a myspace bulletin regarding Automatic Music Explosion’s upcoming gig at Kiss or Kill. So in the desire to increase the volume on this Explosion, here’s to repetition, because this is the most excited I’ve been about a Kiss or Kill band since hearing Bang Sugar Bang for the first time. This band knows how to put on a show. It is a 30 minute set where you dare not only listen to the music. You must participate. Matt and Jodie urge you to join in their fun; exhorting responses from the audience via either a well placed verbal call or held high black-lettering-on-yellow-background signs. You must observe. If you only listen and participate; you’ll miss all the nuances of this band. The hand held signs are obvious, but what about Matt’s outfit changes? Does the head banging ever stop long enough to catch a glimpse of the guitarist’s face? Will the bass player, Jeffrey, ever end up doing the splits on stage? And did anyone notice the drummer, Max, take out that mirror towards the end of their set to make sure that he’s the best looking Los Angeles drummer? I’m sure I missed something and I’m also sure that those of you who saw them are screaming at my words, because I’ve failed to add that one moment (balloons, candies, the look) that you found so intriguing. Please remember, to breathe and refocus your bearings, after their set. What other band will go out there and meet the energy level of Automatic Music Explosion? In JoeDana’s blog, I got the distinct impression that Pu$$y Cow will be taking it up another notch. They’ll be playing out in Pasadena’s Club Yoostuh Becool on Thursday, April 19. (Yes, a plug for another club.) If we’re talking Kiss or Kill, highlight in a big bright marker, April 25. Bang Sugar Bang is on the schedule with Automatic Music Explosion. Bang Sugar Bang will be bringing it, I’m sure. And what, may I ask, can be better than seeing Bang Sugar Bang giving it their all?
Bang Sugar Bang photo by Flaco

If you miss Kiss or Kill in April . . . . your excuse better be that you don’t have either a VCR, DVR, Tivo or high speed internet; therefore, requiring you to watch Lost at its regular scheduled 10 p.m. timeslot. Okay, enough with the hype. If you’ve never heard of Automate Music Explosion and need a bit more convincing to head out to Safari Sam’s on a Wednesday night, consider going to YouTube and typing in Automatic Music Explosion. A handful of videos will come up. I’d suggest starting with the video posted by Avebury. It is a video from an earlier Kiss or Kill show – March, I believe.

Here is that video:




Notes from Vivace is a special contributor to the Kiss or Kill Blog and will periodically give us a review of the nights happenings.

No comments: