Sunday, November 4, 2007

As the Curtain Call Approaches...

I would like to say thank you to everyone who has shared their "How I came across Kiss or Kill" stories with me! I will start posting them over the weekend on our blog that you can view by visiting www.kissorkillclub.blogspot.com


From our previous announcements...


Kiss or Kill's Final Curtain Call


Now that I finally have a few moments I wanted to take the time to say thank you to everyone who has been involved with the club at all points of its existence. I know I will fail in my attempt to make this short and sweet so be forewarned.

As most of you know we announced earlier last month that we would be ending Kiss or Kill this year as it celebrates it's five year anniversary. In the midst of the Kiss or Kill goes Pink in October frenzy, I hadn't had a chance to write my own parting email.

This was a long thought out and extremely hard decision to make, but we feel it is the right one for us to make at this time.

Never in Los Angeles (or really anywhere else for that matter) have I come across so many people so unpretentious (and doubt very highly that I ever will again with another group of people). Kiss or Kill and the people that came to it honestly couldn't care less about what shoes/jeans you were wearing, what your day job was, what car you drove. As the Randies ode to Kiss or Kill, "Socialite," states "Who you know, where you go at the show we don't care..." Words that couldn't ring truer, in fact because the Kiss or Kill crowd just didn't care about any of these things the initially monthly now weekly night at times attracted celebrities (although thankfullly not your heiress' and "trust fund kid" type of wannabe celebrity ) and musicians and other artists who the Kiss or Kill bands often name check as inspirations to them as musicians and artists as well as A&R who would come out to check out the nights line-ups. The intent however, was not to bring the celebrity factor into it, as we had our own pseudo celebrities such as Rob Z the Wonder Emcee, the genius Chissum Worthington, Front Row Joe, Mr.Matt "Bang" Southwell (aka Southy) etc.

Kiss or Kill was a place where you could listen to great music, drink a beer or two (or 7 or 8), have some great conversations with other kindred spirits and never feel like you got ripped off. The infamously low cover of $2 then $3 (which remains 5 years later if you can make it to the show before 10pm) for 5 bands, should go to show that it was not just another night being put together by promoters (I still refuse to be called a promoter) looking for ways to pay their rent (or perhaps their next line of blow) and although we have nothing but respect for some of the local promoters, Kiss or Kill was started by musicians and the audience was comprised of friends and friends of friends. If you wandered into a Kiss or Kill night and didnt start off knowing anyone there at the beginning of the night, it was very likely that by the end of the night after initially speaking to just one person you would know half the people there. Heck most of us didn't even know each other's last names for most of the last few years preferring first names or better yet nicknames (i.e. Mike TV, Pawley Filth, Laura Red, Jason Pancake, etc.,etc.) but that never stopped us from exchanging friendly smiles and hugs and inquiries of our latest significant others/projects/films/recordings/pets/breakups/crushes etc, as part of our weekly greetings. Pretty soon, we were all making it to each other's birthdays, afterparties, etc.
There have been times when we've had some crazy packed shows and I stop and think wow, I know every single person in here, but what's even more amazing is I genuinely like these people!

In fact at this point I can't even begin to imagine my life without some of you in it and can barely remember the days when I didn't know you. Kiss or Kill has been compared to high school, which I don't entirely disspell as my high school experience was a positive one, my first thought though is this high school has a better soundtrack.

As it was put in the M+ Mag Kiss or Kill possesses a "Creative Spirit, free spirit, the spirit of rock n roll ever present;it is the very breath that gives life to the club." Kiss or Kill did in fact become a "refuge for bands and fans that" had "grown frustrated by LA club politics" as they professed back in 2005. That same year, the year often referred to as the year of "Drinking Whiskey and Making Out" ( lyrics immortalized by Zeitgeist Auto Parts),The LA Weekly story on Kiss or Kill broke just five months before the infamous Kiss or Kill Volume II CD Release Party (where approx. 1000 people showed up to the Knitting Factory to watch the 14 local indie bands featured on the CD) where long time supporter and friend Paul Rogers first identified the sound pushing forth from the weekly nights as the "Kiss or Kill sound" describing it as
"significant, as not since Sunset Strips late - '80's cock rock convulsion has L.A. produced a clutch of bands with an identifiable, binding sonic signature."

Comp II CD Release Party @ Knitting Factory
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

We have had many bands play under the Kiss or Kill banner but only a few got asked back to keep gracing the line-ups, not due to the desire of exclusivity nor trying to hide behind velvet ropes but because the bands that played had to understand what Kiss or Kill is, and they had to make an attempt to get to know our friends before we had them keep playing for them. Egos have almost been non-existent throughout the life of KorK. Of course their have been a few problems along the way but isnt that the case with all families? Looking at it as a whole though, we are lucky to have had as little drama as we have had. Yes there were band breakups, yes some band members left and joined other Kiss or Kill bands, yes people went out with each other and then they broke up...but all of that was inevitable in such a tight knit community.

When it came to booking yes, we were bombarded with bands that wanted to play (practically every band in LA)...yes, there were some that would almost not take no for an answer...and yes there were some managers who will remain nameless who had me thinking "restraining order" or practically hitting "panic" on my car keys but it came with the territory I guess. Then there were those that tried to capitalize on the Kiss or Kill audience that went the way of the covered wagon fairly quickly. On the business side most of you know the ups and downs we went through last year, I won't go into details but I definitely learned more than I wanted to and am glad to have come away with the knowledge I now possess.

I wouldn't trade those lessons and the hard work that was put into this for anything as just seeing all of the regulars come out each week to support the bands playing on the nights bills and equally important seeing the bands come out and support each other even if they weren't playing that night was worth it. In fact, one of the main observations that has been shared with me repeatedly in an almost awestruck manner is the rarity of seeing musicians helping each other, as it is commonplace at a Kiss or Kill night that if someone were to break a string another guitarist might offer their own guitar and then restring the momentarily out of commission one or should a mic stand/amp/you name it be presenting problems there are a few people ready to jump on stage and help out. It's almost been like having a musician crew of paramedics on stand by!

Although I was not a part of Kiss or Kill from it's inception, I don't feel I missed out on the experience nor underlying theme that for so long we were able to bring to the LA music scene on a weekly basis. When I first came to Kiss or Kill I never planned on becoming an integral part of the tight-knit community of musicians,artists, and music aficionados. In fact before Kiss or Kill I couldn't even fathom committing to attending anything once a week (I laugh now as I think about the weeks when Kiss or Kill would take up not one night of my week but three with Metal Skool Mondays and The Playa's Picnic's at The Old Towne Pub).

I missed the days of the Garage (now known as Little Temple on Santa Monica Blvd.), barely remember the Zen Sushi days, not sure how I survived the Echo days, learned some invaluable lessons at Safari Sam's, woke up with hangovers from the last two years of monthlies at the Key Club, been drunk by noon at the Old Towne Pub caught in the middle of water gun fights on hot summer days, and have with the rest of you come full circle by yelling SHOTS!!! at least once every half hour at El Cid (owned by Tobin Shea who was the owner of the Garage). I am however glad to have gotten the opportunity to work with the owners and staff at these venues and really appreciate their understanding and sharing of the vision of Kiss or Kill.

Zen Sushi
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


The Echo

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Old Towne Pub
..
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Safari Sams

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

El Cid

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Since the initial announcement, I've been getting addressed with concerns of "where will we all see each other now?" Well you are talking to the girl who can't seem to go out to dinner without a 20 person entourage at times so I'm sure we'll think of many somethings ;). Although I know my response for the last year when asked how I am doing is that "I am well" followed by "super busy", but I hope you know I will always try to make time to hang out with you regardless of what more I continue to take on. I will still come watch your bands as many of you are my favorites in this town, and albeit I have grown accustomed to you coming to me it might be nice to do the reverse for a change. Plus I am sure I will be working on some sort of annual reunion show...including our East Coast Division (led by the O.A.O.Ts and the Atomic Missiles Crew)...the minute the last show is upon us.

We appreciate all of the support given throughout the duration of the club by people who didn't have to acknowledge and much less embrace the community but did, I will stick with members of the media for now that include: Kevin Bronson of the LA Times, Paul Rogers and Falling James of the LA Weekly, Sam Kramer and those still at KXLU (particularly Neuz Pollution), Mark Sovel,TK, and Joe Sib at Indie 103.1, the crew at LA Record, Swindle Magazine, Dennis Tzeng and the Gang at MusicPlusTV, Ali Maclean of Little Radio and Music Plus TV, Jon Hershfield of Killradio.org, Thom White at Citizine, Share and Bam at Rock 'n' Roll TV, Jeff "Pesci" of MTV, Kulture Mutt, Steve Bartolone of Hollywood Music TV, Vania Alonso and SiTV, Andie LaBarge of Filter Magazine, Robert Rowsey of Reviewer Magazine, Scott Dudleson of Music Connection, Jonathan Slowik and Aisah Gemora,and the wonderful people of KSCR, Victoria of Sugarbuzz, plus many many more that I am sure I am forgetting but promise to thank personally before the actual end occurs.

Kiss or Kill inspired songs ("Socialite" aka Kiss or Kill by The Randies, "Watch Me Go" aka Kissed Me Killed Me by the Dollyrots, "Take Me" aka Kiss Me or Kill Me by the OAOT's to name a few), friendships, romances, and heck even brought about a wedding,a baby (not to the same couple), and a documentary that we may someday get to see. We've had Toga Parties, a Punk Rock Prom, a Homecoming Dance, plus as far as I know Kiss or Kill has been the only local music night with a commercial on MTV as well as it's own billboard on Sunset Blvd.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Kiss or Kill Billboard on Sunset Blvd. May 2005

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Punk Rock Prom

We thank you all for the great music and live performances you provided, your support, and most importantly your friendship. We hope the last five years will include some memories that will stay with you a lifetime and hope you will always be proud of the community you helped to build. I myself walk away with some great memories, many "what are the chances" and "are you kidding me" stories, the Vegas road trips, some great friends, and a legion of older brothers who I have seen intervene on my behalf and can confidently say they would do anything for me just as I hope they know I would for them.

At this time I would like to thank the inner circle of Kiss or Kill the always up for some mischief co-founder Cooper Gillespie, the full of stories and crazy antics Matt Southwell, the dynamic creative duo Andre Tusques and Amanda Jones (aka the co-president of the event committee) and my favorite big brother and one of the hardest working most selfless people I know,co-founder Johnny 99 for all of the great times and for all of the work that was put into this community that so many people, as I've been constantly told throughout the last few years, have come to respect and admire. Rob Z thank you for being the face and voice of Kiss or Kill. All of you are amazing people and I am honored to have worked alongside you.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Johnny 99

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Cooper


To the rest of the KorK Community I will thank you by getting drunk alongside you at the weekly shows, you have much to be proud of and I hope to see you at the final five shows, not to show your support for us and the club but to support and sing along with the bands that helped build this community because although this probably won't be the last time they share bills with each other, it may be the last time you see them play under the Kiss or Kill banner.

I promise to bring the champagne on our final night if you promise to raise your glass in your own honor.

xoxo,


Siria

No comments: