Monday, November 26, 2007

Joe Dana on The End of Kiss or Kill...

Joe Dana is the lead singer for Pu$$y Cow, although you may also know him as Front Row Joe.




Here is his reaction to the announcement of the end of Kiss or Kill



"but fucking wow.


kiss or kill is apparently ending at the end of December. I have a flood of emotions over this. I know I haven't attended for the last month. That may have rubbed some the wrong way, but be assured I still have a great love for this weekly club


It has introduced me to some of the best bands in Los Angeles including my own. I've said in almost every interview that P-cow owes so much to the club.


I remember the first one I went to was at the now defunct Goldfingers where Bang Sugar Bang, The Shapes, Silver Needle and Deadbeat Sinatra played. Some country crap band closed the night which made Cooper cry. Chris P. and Glen were there. I banged my head against Matt's guitar. History was made.


I don't remember if there were more between then and the Garage but wow...


the Garage was the best venue for Kork for my money. Not to say the other incarnations sucked but it is just hard to top those original evenings. The booze was the cheapest. the Oaots were underage. Chris Poulos would hurt me. Robin did sound. I remember being introduced to the Dollyrots, the Randies, the King Cheetah, Random Justice (R.I.P. what a great band) and many others. Johnny 99 smashed a bass here. Bang Sugar Bang had their first album release here. I remember the Hello my name is cards. I remember puking on the side of my car the last night it was open.


Zen Sushi was fantastic too. The Waking Hours, The Cloves, The Knives, Underwater City People. I remember thinking that Celeste and Jon must be going out like so many other Kork Male/Female bands. I remember the first time hearing Stupid Job. I remember the Midway dodge ball game. The kiss or kill compilation party with two stages! The waking hours bleeding on shit. Zeitgeist Auto Parts bringing the buzz....colin's first kork shows were here. was it here or the echo that the missiles played? were the letter openers at zen or the garage? i'm not going to remember.


I liked the Echo. some didn't but I did. the bartenders were slow. the security was controversal but it was close to my house. it was probably the height of kork's success. we played the echo. the muffs did too. so did international noise conspiracy. I remember not being able to get to the front of the stage after the LA weekly article came out.


so many drunken nights. So much drama. So many venue changes. So many make out sessions. So many nights I shouldn't have driven home. there is so much more. vegas. vegas bus trips. taking over the knitting factory. THE FUCKING TEQUILA GUN. filling in for robz. fuck. how could I forget rob z himself.I loved it all.


Even at Safari Sam's and El Cid when it started to sort of...well...not be as great as it's previous incarnations...i still enjoyed it. I still attended.


i could write more but i am at work.


Let it be known that we had a great run and my life would sorely be different had I not started getting drunk with these rat bastards.


I've told the story a million times but Cooper and I were at Max's and I was saying, "I wish I could be the type of guy who goes to shows once a week"...a few months later and I was going to 3 a week.


thanks kiss or kill. "

No comments: