Sunday, December 2, 2007

How I Came Across Kiss or Kill: Get Set Go

Get Set Go


As told by Mike TV in an earlier interview that can also be found here on the Kiss or Kill Blog:

On their first Kiss or Kill show...

Hmm...you know, I don't know. I remember Matt and Cooper from Bang Sugar Bang coming out the Tuesday nights at Mr. T's, and I remember them telling me that they were starting something up at the Garage (now known as the Little Temple) on Sunday nights. And I remember going to a few shows out there, which were always loads of fun. I mean, this was at a particularly hard-boozing period in my life, and if there's one thing beside make music that the Kiss or Killers do well, it's putting back the alcohol. So, it was always glorious fun. Insofar as our first show, I really don't know. I think it was at Zen (Sushi). Although, we played the Garage a bunch of times, and one of those might have been a Kiss or Kill show. My brain doesn't work so well, anymore.

On what made Kiss or Kill different...

Well, basically, Kiss or Kill is about community. It's about bands who love music supporting other bands who love music. And, for whatever reason, that's a pretty rare breed of band. And I live for those nights when I'm seeing bands that I love, surrounded by people that I love, and all of us are sharing an experience that is singularly ours. It doesn't belong to strangers. It's not about getting rich or being famous. It's about music, and each other, and love. And man, if that's not PR I don't know what is.

And, what was Launchpad's influence on Kiss or Kill? I don't know. Maybe, just maybe it inspired Cooper and Johnny and all of the architects of Kiss or Kill to realize that you don't have to wait around for someone else to make a place for your music to belong. You can do it yourself. But that might be assuming way too much. I really don't know.

But I do know that I'm happy that Kiss or Kill exists. Without it, the Los Angeles music scene would be a dramatically bleaker environment.

No comments: